The SR-2 Rollsharp is the easiest way to make sure that your MAC knives stay razor-sharp.
This device both hones and sharpens your knife at the proper 15 degree angle on both sides of the knife. Each forward and back stroke finely grinds and polishes both sides of the knife simultaneously for quick results.
The gentle nature of the ceramic wheel reduces the risk of grinding an excess amount of metal away from the knife, ensuring the longest possible life for the knife. Just 10-15 strokes (takes only a few seconds) in the Rollsharp every month or two will keep your knife sharp enough to shave newspaper in a single swipe.
For small paring and utility knives the clear protective case may get in the way of sharpening the full length of the blade. Simply pop open the cover by releasing the clip underneath and use it the way you normally would if the case were still in place; you will notice that the ceramic wheels are at an offset angle to provide proper tension against the blade.
Completely mechanical, no need for batteries or electricity.
It is ready to use, no need to soak or use water in the sharpener; just rinse it out occasionally under the faucet to clear out debris.
· Works great on MAC knives and many other Japanese brands that use a 15 degree angle.
· This sharpener usually lasts 1-5 years depending on how many knives it has to sharpen.
· Can be used on knives made with VG-10 steel or powdered steel but will wear out faster due to the hardness of these steels.
· Can be used on MAC serrated edges.
· When sharpening our serrated knives with this sharpener, tilt the blade so that the left side is leaning against the guard.
· May wear down the serrations if used excessively.
Should be used only with one brand of knife to preserve the angle of ceramic wheel. Switching between different brands can misshape the wheel and cause improper sharpening.
Advantages: Inexpensive. Easy to use; no technique to learn, requires only a normal back and forth sawing motion. Sharpens very quickly (about 15 seconds per knife). Fine-grit ceramic leaves a paper-shaving-sharp edge. Uses the proper 15 angle on both sides of the knife. Sharpens both sides of the knife simultaneously.
Disadvantages: Does not work on all brands of knives. Wears out after 1-5 years.